Originally constructed in 1853 and relocated to its current site in 1914, this Greek Revival has lived a storied life, but still retains much of its original elements. When constructed, the house was designed in the very latest style of domestic design and included state-of-the-art features such as woodstove heating in lieu of a traditional fireplace and machine-cut wood ornamentation. Acquired in 1994 by Western Reserve Academy, the house is occupied as a faculty residence and, due to various structural issues as a result of its age, underwent a complete interior renovation and exterior restoration consistent with its historic standing.
The exterior restoration includes the demolition of portions and elements of the dwelling that were not original to the structure; leaving the original cruciform footprint common to many Gothic buildings. The clapboard siding and ornamental detail was paint-stripped and repaired, while the original double and triple-hung wood windows were dismantled, stripped and refurbished. The home is registered with the Hudson Heritage Association and is located within the Historic District of Hudson and, therefore, required particular care to ensure authentic use of materials, detailing and methods.
The interior was completely renovated to meet current living trends and building code standards but retains historic character through careful selection of materials and the use of custom millwork. Interior layout was challenging due to the dimensional constraints of the roof/ceiling assembly and shed dormers, resulting in a creative use of space. Failing foundations were replaced, deficient structural conditions were remedied, and all utilities have been replaced.